The Greenhouse,

is about growing matters, focusing on my greenhouse and potager. I grow mainly vegetables, herbs and spices but flowers have their given place too. From seed to table, this is the nursery for my living food, we cook a lot of delicious food and I say a potager is the cook’s best friend. The greenhouse makes it possible to grow essential, colourful, warmth loving fruit and vegetables even in this climate such as tomatoes and chillies. My main blog is Tyras Trädgård/Tyra's Garden. View my profile

Wednesday

Heirloom - The Gift from the Past

© This post - 'ABC wednesday Heirloom- the gift from the past' , was originally uploaded and written by Tyra at the blog The greenhouse in Tyra's Garden http://tyras-greenhouse.blogspot.com/


...






ABC Wednesday H is for HEIRLOOM


An heirloom seed is seed treasured by people who love the plant because it’s nature. Growers have through generations learned to value the name, history, flavour, fragrance and outward appearance of the plant. The heir is proud to receive the heritage from their ancestors, it’s a precious gift. To be an heirloom, a plant must be open-pollinated. Open pollination allows the same cultivar to be grown simply from seed for many generations. 1951 was the year of the first hybrid (another interesting H) varieties because of that many growers consider 1951 to be the latest year a plant can have originated and still be called an heirloom. Some heirloom plants are much much older, some being apparently pre-historic.








Heirlooms have adapted over time to whatever climate and soil they have grown in. Due to their genetics, they are often resistant to local pests, diseases, and extremes of weather. This is great and amazing. But...

I have been thinking of that, the grower have to consider just that, because one heirloom plant tastes wonderful, have a superior fragrance and looks and all that in one place does not mean that it will be an excellent plant in your garden. Consequently I myself try to select heirlooms seeds that have been grown in similar conditions that I have in my garden, soil and weather-wise. Although sometimes of cause I fall for their names and history. Interesting names like Cherokee Purple, Plum Lemon or Belize Pink Heart are very tempting names of tomatoes that I would love to have a go at. The first two are actually on my 2009 growing list of heirloom tomatoes.

...




Baker Creeks Heirloom Seeds

Perennial Pleasures Nurcery

Real Seeds UK.

Impecta Sweden

Runåbergs fröer Sweden





Recent post Potager - Heirloom Tomatoes 2009



other Heirloom posts here in the Greenhouse...


Well that's all folks!



Read about more great ABC Wednesday 'H' here.



TYRA



Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

29 comments:

Rune Eide said...

Da har jeg lært noe nytt idag også - dette visste jeg ikke i det hele tatt. Takk skal du ha!

Anna said...

A great choice for the letter H Tyra. I am also guilty of sometimes falling for the names - it's easily done :)

Anonymous said...

Intressanta bilder och information. Återkommer och läser mer.

Unknown said...

hi, thats great ! nice pictures !!!
kathrin aus Bremen

Janie said...

Very interesting. I didn't realize seeds and plants could be designated as heirlooms. No doubt the ones that have been growing in the same area for centuries are the best adapted to soil and weather conditions.
Great H word!

Granny Smith said...

I do not have a vegetable garden, but fortunately there is a market nearby that sells heirloom tomatoes - so much better-tasting that the tasteless varieties that have been developed for ease of shipping. Good choice for "H".

Jane Hards Photography said...

Interesting how we see the language.

Lene said...

Ahhh, takk for informativ post, vakre bilder og en flott H :)

Willow said...

I didn't know all the information about heirloom seeds. I will be looking around for heirloom tomato plants that others in my area have grown in their gardens.

Salix said...

Hi Tyra
Just a couple of years ago I grew my first heirloom tomatoes - and I'll never go back! This year I will have 10 different heirloom tomatoe varieties, four of which I saved seeds last year. I also will have four varieties of heirloom melons, some beans, peas, and lettuce. I am trying to find the varieties that we like the most and grow those in future years. Some heirlooms are tastier than others - for my taste!

Tumblewords: said...

I'm trying to convince someone in my family to raise heirlooms...it shouldn't be up to me. I have no luck at all with tomatoes. None. And I dearly love them....

joo said...

It's lovely and the pictures are great - make me think about trying it on mu own

Bradley Hsi said...

Thank you for all the information on Heirlooms. Now I understand better.

J said...

my goodness your vegetables look delicious!

Kay said...

Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting, Tyra. I have been looking at your photos and admiring your talent! I am very impressed.

spacedlaw said...

Wonderful post, very colourful.

Anonymous said...

The genetic heritage is of greater importance to life than nonsense about climate. A fine post.

gone to the dogs said...

Thanks for the great information on Heirlooms. They are so beautiful though I don't think I've ever tasted one. I will attempt to grow some in containers this summer.

Daniel Chérouvrier said...

Hard job to protect them !
Thanks

Unknown said...

Those tomatoes totally make me think of summer! Yummy as can be! Happy Wednesday!

magiceye said...

that was very interesting!

Dina said...

There is lots of food for the mind and the eye in your post.
And you have a real GLASS greenhouse!

Anonymous said...

Well, that was an unexpectedly fascinating post! I was thinking it would be about jewellery or some other type of possession!

Pat - Arkansas said...

Wonderful "H" post, Tyra! Thanks.

Dragonstar said...

I love your garden posts, and this one is Highly enjoyable! I hope your Heirlooms grow well for you.

Carolina said...

Oh I love tomatoes and most of the new varieties available in the shops have no taste at all. I'm convinced the older varieties taste much better, and they have such great names too. Good luck with growing them. Great photos!

Bling - our elf on the shelf said...

En skikkelig informativ løsning på oppgaven. Flotte bilder!

dianasfaria.com said...

what a great post, really fascinating!

kRiZcPEc said...

so colourful!