The Greenhouse,

is about growing matters, focusing on my greenhouse and potager. I grow mainly vegetables, herbs and spices but flowers have their given place too. From seed to table, this is the nursery for my living food, we cook a lot of delicious food and I say a potager is the cook’s best friend. The greenhouse makes it possible to grow essential, colourful, warmth loving fruit and vegetables even in this climate such as tomatoes and chillies. My main blog is Tyras Trädgård/Tyra's Garden. View my profile

Wednesday

I say I is for for IRIS

This post, 'I say I is for IRIS!' was originally uploaded and written by Tyra at the blog The greenhouse in Tyra's Garden
..


I say I is for IRIS

..
from Iris to Gin and Tonic, I know it's a long way !

...


From the flower IRIS to Orris root (rhizome)

Orris root is the root of some species of iris, grown principally in southern Europe: Iris germanica, Iris florentina, and Iris pallida. Once important in western herbal medicine, it is now used mainly as a fixative and base note in perfumery, as well as an ingredient in many brands of gin. Orris root must generally be hung and aged for 5 years before it can be used for perfumery. This substance is left out of products that are labeled hypo-allergenic. Wikipedia
Iris rhizomes



From Orris root to GIN a botanical ‘Tonic’

Bombay Sapphire Gin – Vapour infused with 10 botanical ingredients. Distilled from 100% grain neutral spirit from a 1761 recipe, with 10 carefully selected botanical ingredients, including almonds, angelica, lemon peel, coriander, liquorice, cassia bark, juniper, cubeb berries, orris ( here comes my I for IRIS) and grains of paradise.

From GIN to my all time favourite medicine (malaria)



Tadaa ...Gin and Tonic!



Iris florentina
Iris florentina


CHEERS! /TYRA


Read about more great ABC Wednesday 'I' here.



Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

21 comments:

Rune Eide said...

Nå er ikke Gin & Tonic min favoritt drikk - men innlegget var meget bra! (kan du ta M for Malt når vi kommer dit ;-) )

Bling - our elf on the shelf said...

Ikke min type drikke heller, men flott inlegg og flotte bilder :)

Anonymous said...

Men min dricka är det. Tack för historien kring drycken.

Anna said...

What an interesting link Tyra. I would have never have guessed this but then I don't drink gin which is also sometimes called 'Mother's Ruin' here. I really enjoy your ABC Wednesday posts and always learn something new :) Thank you !

Janie said...

I had no idea that iris roots are used in perfume and even in alcoholic beverages.
Interesting post! Great photos, too.

Anonymous said...

5 yrs for orris root to dry! whew. no wonder perfume is so expensive. a wonderful post.

Unknown said...

I have always thought the Iris was a beautiful flower. Lovely!

Anonymous said...

So very interesting and what beautiful pictures. I love the Iris that grow in our garden here in Georgia.

Tumblewords: said...

In another world, I had several Sapphire martinis but I didn't know about the iris. Great post!!!

Willow said...

Why is there a little reference to malaria with the dry gin? I never knew gin could help malaria...which I have had and it's a horrible disease. But the white iris is truly lovely!

Bradley Hsi said...

Great post and great photos, I do not know Iris (Orris) root is an ingredient of Gin.

VP said...

I love the collage Tyra! And not long until those Irises are blooming away :)

nilla|utanpunkt said...

Well, that was a bit of education a Wednesday morning. I had no idea either, I thought juniper was the gin spice – always nice to learn something new.
Cheers!

spacedlaw said...

Interesting! I did not know there was so many things in gin...

Rose said...

Thanks for the info, Tyra; I didn't know any of this about the uses of irises. The iris is such a beautiful, elegant flower; it doesn't need any practical purposes:)

Miss_Yves said...

I love this flower, its perfume and your photos! the collage makes us see the growth of the plant ...

Karyn said...

Very interesting post.

The photos of the flowers are truly lovely. Irises make me think of my Gramma - they were her favorite.

Anonymous said...

I love irises - particularly the old fashioned blue ones. And when I used to drink alcohol, Bombay Sapphire was my favourite gin.

I wonder if that's a coincidence, or not?

Anonymous said...

Didn't see the connection, thanks for that interesting history. :)

Gail said...

I love the older irises...there's one that smell very grapey! gail

Catherine said...

Trya~Your iris collage is fantastic! Beautiful captures!! I have learned more about Iris's & gin..:) I always see the prettiest ads for Bombay gin in gardening magazines..yours is a stunning capture as well!
Enjoy your day!