The Greenhouse,

is about growing matters, focusing on my greenhouse and potager. I grow mainly vegetables, herbs and spices but flowers have their given place too. From seed to table, this is the nursery for my living food, we cook a lot of delicious food and I say a potager is the cook’s best friend. The greenhouse makes it possible to grow essential, colourful, warmth loving fruit and vegetables even in this climate such as tomatoes and chillies. My main blog is Tyras Trädgård/Tyra's Garden. View my profile

Wednesday

ABC Wednesday 'D' is for DARWIN She was...

© This post - ABC Wednesday 'D' , was originally uploaded and written by Tyra at the blog The greenhouse in Tyra's Garden http://tyras-greenhouse.blogspot.com/
.

ABC Wednesday 'D' is for DARWIN....She was...
and of course a flower DAHLIA




The Bicentenary Charles Darwin 200 years. About Charles Darwins Britain.

My 'D' i for the woman Emma Darwin married to Charles and a mother of 10 children.

This is what wikipedia says about my 'D'

Emma Wedgwood was born in 1808 at the family estate of Maer Hall, Maer, Staffordshire, the youngest of seven children of Josiah Wedgwood II and his wife Bessy (Elizabeth). She grew up in a wealthy manufacturing family; her grandfather Josiah Wedgwood had made his fortune in pottery, and like many others who were not part of the aristocracy they were nonconformist, belonging to the Unitarian church. Charles Darwin was her first cousin; their shared grandparents were Josiah Wedgwood and his wife Sarah; and as the Wedgwood and Darwin families were closely allied, she had been acquainted with him since childhood.

'D' is also for one of my favourit flowers in my potager DAHLIA

Two Dahlias in full bloom in my potager, they are so very different and the light on the flowers is very different too. I think it is very pretty when the light is almost shining through in the Dahlia in latter picture.


I wish you all a DDDDelightful ABC Wednesday!

TYRA

Go and visit other ABC participants here




Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good choices.
Nice flower and beautiful of a great man
Tack !

Carolina said...

Dahlia's! Every year I think: must get Dahlia's in the garden. It has not yet happened though. Maybe this year. Love them. Such bright colors. And Darwin: great man!

Sylvia K said...

I agree! great choices -- the man and the flower! and your photos are lovely! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your lovely comments! Have a great week!

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

My.......your blog is just lovely. Dahlia's are my favorite flower. Simply beautiful!!

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Reader Wil said...

Thank you for the history about Emma Darwin. And I love your dahlias

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness..I did Charles Darwin, but didn't know anything about his wife....Michelle

Janie said...

Interesting to see your post about Emma Darwin. I had just been reading about Charles.
Lovely flower photos, too.

Anonymous said...

Such cheerful dahlias today. Thanks!

Lene said...

Delightful D`s - both Emma Darwin and the Dahlias :)

God natt til Sverige :)

Jane Hards Photography said...

More than one Darwin today n the blogs an dahlia are such beautiful choices.

Anne-Berit said...

This is a great D-post:o)

photowannabe said...

Interesting post and your Dahlias are beautiful. I love that there are so many different types.

Rose said...

Delightful post! I intended to post a photo of a dahlia, too, but apparently I forgot to take a photo of mine. Yours are much lovelier anyway:) Interesting choice of Emma rather than Charles Darwin. She certainly deserves an award for raising 10 children!

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Great post. Very interesting.

Karyn said...

Interesting D post!

The photos of the flowers are perfect!

Tumblewords: said...

Beautiful dahlias! I enjoyed the bit about the Darwin history... Delightful post!

VP said...

Darwin - fine choice seeing his bicentenary's tomorrow, but great to put your own twist on the name!

Dahlias are some of my favourite flowers too :)

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Thank you so much for all the lovely comments.

I'm glad you liked it and yes I choiced the woman behind the MAN instead, I think you all will read a great deal of Mr D now this Feb.


xoxo Tyra

gone to the dogs said...

I loved both of your choices. the gorgeous dahlias reminded me of the red dahlias growing in our garden when I was a child. Thanks

Sherrie said...

HI!
Very nice "D" post. Thanks for the info on Darwin. Love the flowers, beautiful! Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Pat - Arkansas said...

Very interesting information on Emma Darwin; thanks. The Dahlia flowers are beautiful. Very nice "D."

Jay said...

I didn't know that Darwin's wife was from the Wedgewood family!

Love the dahlia!

Anonymous said...

You are so good at these ABC posts Tyra. Emma Darwin was a beautiful lady, wasn't she? Your dahlias are magnificent. So wonderful you can have them all year in your potager. I just ordered a few new ones for my containers. I don't think they'll ship until April but I'd love to have them now and start them indoors. Hope you had a "D" lightful day too!!

Dragonstar said...

Beautiful! We hear very little about Darwin's wife. Your Dahlias are really colourful!

Anonymous said...

You have some amazing photographs, and I love your seed bank, it looks a very old box.

Unknown said...

it's so very nice and lovely, also intresting your blog !!! liebe Grüße von Kathrin aus Bremen