The Greenhouse,

is about growing matters, focusing on my greenhouse and potager. I grow mainly vegetables, herbs and spices but flowers have their given place too. From seed to table, this is the nursery for my living food, we cook a lot of delicious food and I say a potager is the cook’s best friend. The greenhouse makes it possible to grow essential, colourful, warmth loving fruit and vegetables even in this climate such as tomatoes and chillies. My main blog is Tyras Trädgård/Tyra's Garden. View my profile

Tuesday

The POTAGER - My small piece of heaven.

This post, 'The Potager - My small piece of heaven' was originally uploaded and written by Tyra at the blog The greenhouse in Tyra's Garden http://tyras-greenhouse.blogspot.com/
ABC Wednesday this week it is P for POTAGER.
...





My Potager - My small piece of heaven on earth.
...
This is one of the places I love the best, here I find peace and happiness. My POTAGER is a place to work hard in or relax in. POTAGER is a French term for an ornamental vegetable or kitchen garden. Flowers herbs and spices are planted with the vegetables to enhance the garden's beauty and to make a healthy and sustainable garden. The goal is to make the function of providing food aesthetically pleasing and to give me pleasure and joy. If you have a Potager you get a lot of fresh air, exercise and aboundance of healthy food.
My plants, shrubs and trees are chosen as much for their functionality as for their colour and form. Many plants are trained to grow upward like peas and beans to save space. A well-designed POTAGER can provide berries, fruits and vegetables as well as cut flowers and herbs for the home during many months of the year. My favourites are the tomatoes and if you are interested you find a lot of tomatoes here, this year I grow a lot of heirlooms.
...


Today I harvest some lovely asparagus, parsley and chives for my lunch. I wish more people would grow their own food. They say you should buy local food well folks...it doesn't get more local than this. If you haven't tried it before I really can recommend you to put some seeds in the soil, nurse your plants and then later on get the joy of harvesting and eating your own food.



I wish you all a great Wednesday!

Read about more great ABC Wednesday's P here.

You find POTAGER posts here, The potager in Tyra's Garden

LOLove TYRA

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Din trädgård och dina foton är helt underbara. Men än har väl inte allt vuxit upp så här mycket ?

naturglede/Randi Lind said...

Så vakkert dette var da! Ønsker deg en fin maidag:)

Rune Eide said...

Jeg er som alltid imponert over det du får til - jeg får holde meg til mosen min ;-)

PS Du må ikke høre på andre - har du sett mye regn på bildene mine?

Mara said...

Could you please come to the Netherlands and turn my garden into something beautiful? Even one tenth of what yours looks like would be okay?
Please???

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Thank you for your comments dear friends.

Rune your pictures are beautiful and sunny but I've seen some stats over the rainfall here in Scandinavia and I'm pretty sure Bergen was numero uno...but I like rain :-)

Mara you got the best soil and climate in Europe! Dig in girl. But sure I can come, I love the Netherlands.

TYRA

Carol said...

Tyra,

Paradise is the right word! How lovely and delicious everything seems and yes to growing our own food! I will think of you there in your piece of heaven, when I pick a few stems of asparagus later today! Applause Applause to your Potager!

Frances said...

Hi Tyra, I love seeing your little piece of heaven, and agree completely with its purpose. You have created such a beautiful potager, kudos to you and bon appetit!

Frances

Willow said...

I agree that more people should grow their own vegetables and fruits! I have my own little potager. I love that word--p o t a g e r. Now I know it is a French term :)

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hi Carol and Frances and thank you for stopping by and leaving such nice comments.

Willow It is a nice word and what I have heard is that it comes from having a small garden close to the kitchen and where you easily go out and pick some herbs and veggies for your 'potage'.

Happy Gardening/ Tyra

Salix said...

Hi Tyra - Your posts are such an inspiration. Are those pictures from this year? Already looking so lush! Here it has been too wet and cold to even prepare the vegetable garden. Asparagus just starting but the chives have been big and green for some time.

joey said...

Indeed a piece of paradise, Tyra ~ I can taste your luscious lunch! Have you ever made a chive blossom omelet? Delicious!

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Hi Lene, no they are some old photos of my potager but it is growing awfully fast now

Yes Joey I always add the flowers they are so taste and beautiful. Especially good in salads as they are a little bit sweet as well.

Thank you girl for your comments/ Tyra

Kathleen said...

It's looking so good Tyra. I agree with you about growing your own food. I'm trying it again for the first time in years this summer. It's so scary eating food from the grocery store ~ I always worry about chemicals, etc. Of course my veggie plot won't be near as attractive as yours so I'll keep coming here to gaze at what you've created.

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Good Morning Kathleen and a good morning it is here, the sun is shining from a clear blue sky. Glad to here that you joined the 'grow our own food club' :-)

xoxo Tyra

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Tyra, you potager is an inspiration for any gardener!

Naturegirl said...

Tyra:A most inspirational post! I really must plant more edable plants in my garden..perhaps there's no better time than now!
Wishing you a Mother's Day filled with LoVe! hugs NG

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Tatyana and Anna thank you for you lovely comments, wishing you a great Mother's Day too my friends/ Tyra

Gordon said...

You certainly have an impressive potager. My father had a great vegetable garden, but I am afraid I have not continued in his footsteps. Maybe you will inspire me!

Catherine said...

Paradise indeed Tyra~that is what you have created...your very own heaven on earth! :) And you are so right about growing your own food~I just wish I could get the deer & other critters to share a little more of mine with me! :)
Beautiful captures~love the second shot, & the last is so cheerful!
Cat