The Greenhouse,

is about growing matters, focusing on my greenhouse and potager. I grow mainly vegetables, herbs and spices but flowers have their given place too. From seed to table, this is the nursery for my living food, we cook a lot of delicious food and I say a potager is the cook’s best friend. The greenhouse makes it possible to grow essential, colourful, warmth loving fruit and vegetables even in this climate such as tomatoes and chillies. My main blog is Tyras Trädgård/Tyra's Garden. View my profile

Sunday

Frost Hardy Borecole - Pentland Brig

This post 'Frost Hardy Borecole - Pentland Brig' was originally uploaded by Tyra in the blog The Greenhouse


The last harvest from the Potager 2009


The day before Christmas day!

Under a thick duvet of snow I dug out my Portland Brig kale.

Some call it Kale - the edible plant (Brassica oleracea var. acephala) in the mustard family, having spreading crinkled leaves that do not form a compact head. Also called borecole, cole, colewort, collard. I personally say GRÖNKÅL (green+cole) and my faavourite is the Pentland Brig. Långkål -is slowly cooked dish with kale, butter and creme is a favourite on our Christmas table . Recipe below** this recipe 'Långkål' is an old recipe from Halland and that is from the southern part of Sweden.




Frost hardy borecole. Heavy cropping leafy winter vegetable with a distinct flavour. Also produces leafy side shoots and spears like broccoli. SOW: March to April in seed bed in shallow drills 15cm apart. TRANSPLANT: in May-June 45cm apart. HARVEST: Late autumn onwards. Soil Association Certified Organic Seeds. Seeds and text at the Green Chronicle Shop


Grönkål - allmänt ifrån Runåberg


"Grönkålen har odlats mycket länge. I de Egyptiska pyramiderna har gjorts fynd som visar att grönkålen var högt värderad både som föda och till dekoration. Hos oss här i Norden är den troligen en av de äldsta odlade köksväxterna. Grönkålen knyter sig inte till ett huvud och bladen är mer eller mindre krusiga. Vitamin och mineralinnehållet är mycket högt och det gör grönkålen till viktig höst- och vintermat för både människor och djur. Den delas efter höjden upp i låga, halvhöga och höga sorter, som kan variera mellan 10 till 150 cm. Grönkålen kan odlas på de flesta jordar, men trivs bäst i en näringsrik och fuktighetshållande jord med bra tillgång på fosfor och kalium"
Brassica oleracea var. acephala sabellica 'Pentland Brig' - en av de godaste!

Den godaste grönkålen enligt min mening med lite svagt syrlig smak är Pentland Brig . Varje år till jul gär jag långkål recept nedan* jag kan inte tänka mej ett julbord utan. Stammen blir dryga halvmetern hög och bär en stor mängd ljusare gröna , spröda (det knakar om dom), vågkrusiga vackra blad. Pentland Brig var mycket nära att försvinna för några år sedan, men räddas av en liten engelsk fröfirma läser jag hos Runåberg. Ekofrö från Runåbergsfröer
Recept på Långkål

*Repa av bladen från grönkålsstånden. Här Pentland Brig (Räkna med att 1 kg färsk grönkål ger 400-500 gram kokt kål.) Koka i 20 minuter i buljong.(ex. skinkspadet) Låt kålen rinna av i durkslag jag brukar lägga allt i en ren silduk och krama ur spadet . Grovhacka. Fräs hacket av grönkålen i en stekpanna med smör, häll på grädde och låt det stå och småputtra. Salt och peppra efter smak.

RECIPE for Långkål

**Tear of leaves of the kale and leave the stems. I use Pentland Brig borecole but there are many different kales to choose from. (Expect that 1 kg of fresh kale gives about 400-500 grams of cooked kale.) Boil for 20 minutes in the broth. (I use the broth from my Christmas ham) Allow the cabbage to drain in colander, I usually put everything in a clean cloth and squeeze out the broth . Chop roughly. Fry the chopped kale in a pan with a nob of butter, pour in the cream and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, some even add a very small amount of syrup.


Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Not my favourite of the crucifers, but I love the ornamental value of this plant! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, Tyra!

Daphne Gould said...

What a wonderful harvest. I love kale. I have just a bit in the garden right now.

Michelle said...

I'm a kale lover also, but thank goodness I don't have to dig it out of the snow! Your recipe sounds delicious.

Pam's English Garden said...

How wonderful that you are still harvesting in December! The focus of my vegetable garden in a shed that is part greenhouse. I am not using it to its full potential. I will look to you for advice in the future. I am glad I found you.

Pam's English Garden said...

My comment should read "is a shed" not "in a shed". It is good that your English is so very good. Sorry.

*Ulrike* said...

Oh kale always tastes better when is has a good frost to it!