The Greenhouse,

is about growing matters, focusing on my greenhouse and potager. I grow mainly vegetables, herbs and spices but flowers have their given place too. From seed to table, this is the nursery for my living food, we cook a lot of delicious food and I say a potager is the cook’s best friend. The greenhouse makes it possible to grow essential, colourful, warmth loving fruit and vegetables even in this climate such as tomatoes and chillies. My main blog is Tyras Trädgård/Tyra's Garden. View my profile

Wednesday

Time for Tea & Toast and my friends the TOMATOES

This post, 'Time for T' - was originally uploaded and written by Tyra at the blog The greenhouse in Tyra's Garden http://tyras-greenhouse.blogspot.com/ABC Wednesday this week it is T for ...Tomato.
...
...
Time for Tea & Toast and my friends the Tomatoes!
...
This week’s letter on ABC Wednesday is T as in Tyra no...my T just has to be TOMATO.
...
Tomatoes are some of my friends in the greenhouse, yes they are my friends. I have just been out having my breakfast there, Tea and Toast. while doing some tomato pollination :-) Late last night I made a nice loaf of what I call country-bread, a rustic loaf made with sour dough, wheat of spelt Triticum spelta, rye whole flour, raisins and a bunch of nuts and seeds.


T as in Tea and Toast.



Now to the tomato, they are coming along just fine in the greenhouse, I have a lot of flowers and a few small tomatoes, still green of course. The biggest one is Solanum Lycopersicum’ Cherokee purple’ a heirloom and this is how the flowers looks like. This tomato is a beefsteak type tomato, dusky red in the colour with green shoulders. It is the first time I'm growing this Cherookee purple and it is going to be so exciting to see how it turns out.


This is a collage from last years tomatoes.

I have made a small evaluation of them here:
Tomatoes Tyra's Garden 2008




Early history


Aztecs and other peoples in the region used the fruit in their cooking; it was being cultivated in southern Mexico and probably other areas by 500BC. It is thought that the Pueblo people believed that those who witnessed the ingestion of tomato seeds were blessed with powers of divination. The large, lumpy tomato, a mutation from a smoother, smaller fruit, originated and was encouraged in Mesoamerica. Smith states this variant is the direct ancestor of some modern cultivated tomatoes.
According to Andrew F Smith's The Tomato in America, the tomato probably originated in the highlands of the west coast of South America. However, Smith notes there is no evidence the tomato was cultivated or even eaten in Peru before the Spanish arrived.
Two modern tomato cultivar groups, one represented by the Matt's Wild Cherry tomato, the other by currant tomatoes, originate by recent domestication of the wild tomato plants apparently native to eastern Mexico. This text ‘Early history’ is from wikipedia.
Read more about the most fascinating story of this plant here


Read about more great ABC Wednesday's T here.
...

Have a great Wednesday my friends!

LOLove Tyra







Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

16 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

particularly nice tomatoes.

NatureStop said...

Tea-time looks inviting and the tomatoes look great!!

dianasfaria.com said...

ooh... what a nice T display! & your breakfast tray looks delish.

nilla|utanpunkt said...

Now, that was a very English start indeed. Good luck with your tomatoes! (might as well write in English since I'm on an English keyboard)

joey said...

I raced over as fast as I could, dear Tyra ... Delightful!

JC said...

You made tomatoes look so nice ...

Roses and Lilacs said...

Cherokee Purple is one of my very favorites. Wonderful flavor and color.
Marnie

Unknown said...

oh my eyes seees so wonderful pictures and my hard says I like to stay there, so I m thinking about you and in my feelings I stay there, sorry for my crazy english...

Tumblewords: said...

So very tempting! Tomatoes are one of my favorites...your bread looks absolutely scrumptious!

Ruben said...

Dina tomatbilder verar verkligen vara fotade med kärlek. Hoppas att det blir en bra skörd i år och att din Cherokee sköter sig! /Ruben

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Thank you for all your very nice comments.

Marnie I'm so glad to hear that Cherokee is a favorite!

It is so exciting to grow something new. I loved the name
:-) Cherokee purple...

Tyra

Ruben said...

I have a link for You!
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-garden/
/Ruben

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Tack Ruben för länken, en sida helt i min smak!

Carol said...

Well everything about your post this day as per usual looks like it came out of your own coffee table book. Gorgeous and delicious... and you baked the bread! Quite the magical world you have made. As someone here said... looks very inviting and also artistic and wholesome. Admiration and inspiration are what I am compelled to feel. Thank you!

Hannele på Hisingen said...

Mums, älskar sånt bröd, jag tar två bitar..

(svenskar är lite mesiga med bröd :)

Carole said...

I like cherokee purple but have heard the black krim is even better. Will let you know what I think....if it ever get warm enough here and it stops raining.